Glutamed ZS sachets provide a high dose of L- glutamine (10g per sachet), in addition to the trace elements, zinc and selenium. They are available in a great tasting citrus (naartjie) flavour. Single serving sachets are designed to be added to room temperature liquids, soft foods or as a supplement to enteral nutrition or tube feeds. Glutamed ZS can be mixed with as little as 60ml of water.
When to Use Glutamed ZS
Typical conditions where a deficiency in glutamine occurs, or in which supplementation plays a role include:
- Cancer patients, because of cachexia and treatment related side-effects, such as mucositis, diarrhoea, GVHD
- Post-surgery (e.g. for wound healing)
- Pressure ulcers
- Critical illness
- Patients with Sickle Cell Disease
How to Use Glutamed ZS
- Mix the contents of one sachet with 60 – 120ml of room temperature liquid such as water, juice or black tea
- Mix the contents of one sachet with 60 – 120ml of room temperature soft food such as yogurt, fruit puree or porridge
- Once mixed, ideally consume immediately
- Mix the contents of 1 (one) sachet with 60ml sterile water. Infuse into the feeding tube port, using a syringe
- Flush the feeding tube before and after administration with an additional 20ml sterile water
- Prepare at time of administration and use immediately
- Do not add directly to the enteral feed
- If administered correctly the Glutamed ZS solution will not clog the giving set lines.
Swish and Swallow: for Oral Mucositis
- Mix the contents of 1 (one) sachet with 60ml of room temperature liquid such as water
- Swish around the mouth for 30-60 seconds, gargle and then swallow
- Continue to do this until the glass/cup is empty
- Refrain from eating, drinking, or brushing teeth for 30 minutes after dosing, for best results
- Repeat, using the swish and swallow technique, every 8 hours or 3 times per day
The recommended dosage of L-glutamine in the clinical setting ranges from 0.3 – 0.5 g/kg/day.
This corresponds with 10-30g L-glutamine, or 1–3 sachets, on average per day. Best administered in separate doses three times per day.
|Weight in kg||Dose of Glutamine in g per day||ml liquid per day||ml liquid per dose|
5 – 10 kg
10 -15 kg
15 – 20 kg
20 – 25 kg
25 – 30 kg